Saturday, May 17, 2008

thik chha! thik chha!

Namaste friends!

So Nepal has been going great! I have been learning so much...from politics to caste systems and the many Nepali ways. So, there are so many interesting facts about Nepal that I bet you all didn't know. I'm in the listing mood...so, list I'll list them.

About Nepal:
1. Families will eat daal bhat every morning and night. It is basically white rice and a bowl of yellow lentil soup.
2. Nepalis eat using their right hand.
3. Using the left hand to eat or touch someone is considered very filthy and rude.
4. Everyone is in the caste system. You can only marry at your own caste or above. (The goal is to basically climb the social ladder.)
5. Marriages are arranged.
6. A groom's family has to pay a dowry for the bride.
7. It's super improper for women to not have their shoulders covered or to wear skimpy outfits.
8. Most women wear saris...or tibetan dresses.
9. Nepal is a conglomerate of diversity. People look like they're from India, China, Mongolia,Tibet, or the Middle East but they're not....they're Nepalis.
10. Sharing food is not widely done. This is due to their belief of "Jutho". If you are eating a plate of food...the second that your hand and lips have touched your food it is all yours. It is considered contaminated or "Jutho". If you were to try to share with someone after touching your food,...you would really be offending that person.
11. Nepali men hold hands and touch each other in affectionate friendly ways. It is normal in society and shows that friendship is great and unbreakable.
12. However, gay relationships would be greatly unacceptable and are not discussed.
13. Women and men cannot hold hands or display affection in public (even the married). This is considered very rude.
14. Women cannot talk or joke about sexual topics with men.
15. In Pepsi-Cola, where I live, I have to be back at my host family's home by 8pm every night for daal bhat...or else they will be very mad at me. This rule of being back home, for the day, by daal bhat is observed by all Nepalis. The streets get pretty desolate by 9:30 or so.
16. People bob their heads to the right and left to agrees with you. They look like bobble heads.


Anyway, that's it for now. I can't think of anything more.
I hope all id well with you!
I have to go teach a 7th grade class.
much love,
maumau
xo
Namaste

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I knew things are quite conservative and somewhat patriarchal out there. I didn't know there are specific Nepalis custom. Thanks for the info. Continue having a great experience in Nepal. Miss ya...
XOXO